With my first child, I was completely paranoid about him putting things in his mouth (choking hazards/poisons/etc). Yet, this was never really a problem with him. However, with my second child, putting things in her mouth is a normal occurrence. Maybe it’s a combination of her being more prone to doing it, and me being less uptight about it. (Don’t get me wrong; we’re still careful about such things, just not completely paranoid.) Her preference seems to be art supplies. Luckily, they’re non-toxic.